Easy Mac and Cheese with Peas
Prep Time: 15 Min
Start to Finish: 40 Min
1 container (8 oz) garden vegetable cream cheese
3/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/4 cups shredded American cheese (5 oz)
4 cups cooked small elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
1 can (15 oz) Le Sueur® Very Young Small Early Peas, drained
1 jar (2 oz) sliced pimientos, drained
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole with shortening or cooking spray.
2. In a 3-quart saucepan, whisk cream cheese, milk, salt and pepper over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until cream cheese is melted. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese and the cooked macaroni, peas and pimientos. Spoon into casserole; top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
8 servings (1 cup each)
1 Serving: Calories 470; Total Fat 15g; Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 750mg; Potassium 260mg; Total Carbohydrate 64g (Dietary Fiber 6g); Protein 18g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 20%; Iron 20%; Vitamin D 6%; Thiamine 40%
Exchanges: 3 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Low-Fat Milk, 1/2 Vegetable, 1/2 Lean Meat, 2 Fat
Pimientos are large red heart-shaped peppers that are sweeter and more aromatic than red bell peppers.
- Party Deviled EggsColorful deviled eggs are the perfect dish for a family reunion, birthday get-together or summer BBQ.
- Easy Pea Salad with Pimiento and CheeseThis salad is more flavorful after it’s refrigerated overnight—a perfect dish to take tailgating or to a summer pool party.
- Pasta Carbonara with PeasAn easy, flavorful variation on pasta carbonara. Great with grilled chicken or grilled pork chops.
- Asparagus and Cheese OmeletsTasty omelets filled with cheese and asparagus make an easy breakfast or quick dinner.
- Easy White Bean Pea HummusThis tasty hummus dish is a great way to add vegetables to your kids’ diet. They’ll never know it includes peas.
- Chicken Fried Rice with Peas and CarrotsA fast, easy stir-fry with a slightly sweet flavor the whole family will love.
- Easy Mac and Cheese with PeasThis easy mac and cheese is a great side dish for barbecued chicken or burgers.
- Sour Cream Pea CasseroleA perfect dish to serve at a family picnic or neighborhood potluck.
- Quick Ham and Pea SaladSalty ham paired with sweet peas and poppy-seed dressing makes a great salad for warm spring days.